Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I'm outta here ...


This is the first time in more than eight years that our family is going away during the Christmas break. Getting ready for this trip was like preparing for an open-book algebra test. For the past six months I’ve been buying guidebooks, studying schedules, looking up restaurant reviews, and booking sightseeing excursions. I’ve also developed a critical path and workback schedule. (Good thing my PR background comes in handy once in awhile).

No, we aren’t trekking somewhere in Nepal … we are going to Disney World in Florida!

That’s right my friends, mapping out this trip with a soon-to-be seven-year-old girl in tow had to be planned and thought through months before we even booked our seats on the plane. Who knew there would be wall-to-wall bookshelf space devoted to designing the ultimate Disney experience? Sometime last year, social media butterfly, Dave Jones told me to start preparing well in advance for this vacation. Of course I thought he was kidding … he wasn’t. Specifically, he said, if we had serious intentions about getting in on the highly coveted Once Upon a Time Breakfast at Cinderella Castle, we had to book our table at least six months beforehand. We did, and so we will be dining with the princess and her friends for the happiest meal ever. Pre--paid no less!

The branding and marketing of Disney is not just pure genius, it’s pure commerce! We have spent a lot already on this trip just to ensure that all of our little girl’s dreams are met in what they call the happiest place on earth. (I always thought it was around my mother’s kitchen table?)

I hope the folks at Disney take a page out of the PR Agency Handbook: under promise and over deliver ‘cuz my expectations are at an all-time high.

Gotta go now and finish packing … too many shoes to fit in a silly little carry on.

Have a prosperous New Year, everyone, and keep on reading this PR Maven’s blog.

More juicy stuff coming in 2008.

No comments: