Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Ice Age is here ... at least in Toronto!

This is unbelievable. Anybody living in Toronto or the surrounding areas knows exactly what I’m talking about. The topic of discussion right now is the weather and the amount of snow that has been dumping onto our beautiful city. Last month we shattered the snowfall record set back in 1950 of 66.6 cm. I believe we were well over 70 cm by the end of the month. It’s early March and Toronto is hit yet again with another winter storm and another on the way Friday night. So much for global warming, right?

According to Gilles Langis, a senior forecaster with the Canadian Ice Service in Ottawa, the Arctic Sea ice has not only recovered but is 10 to 20 cm thicker than this time last year! Where is this warm heat going? Well, looking out my window this morning I have some of that arctic ice on my driveway and sidewalks. Ladies, forget those high-heeled boots this winter. Instead, invest in a safe pair of fashionable Kodiaks.

I really shouldn’t be complaining right now because our family is flying out this weekend for the tropical islands that make up Hawaii. It’s our first trip to this stunningly beautiful American state and I really can’t wait. We plan on visiting many of the islands for some much needed R&R. I’ve packed a great book (another Sophie Kinsella classic!), some old issues of Hello! Magazine (my Economist reading can wait ‘til I get back) and loads of suntan lotion. I don’t know any of the local language or expressions other than “aloha” and “Book ’em, Danno,” but I’m sure I’ll get by ….

Spring is less than four weeks away. I hope that when I return most of this fluffy, white cold stuff has melted.

So I bid you adieu. Enjoy the cold (suck it up, we’re Canadian) and talk to you all later in March.

No comments: