Friday, September 29, 2006

The More I know .. the Less I know ....

I was at a cool event this week with a bunch of PR and blogger folks from different agencies and industries. It was arranged by Joe Thornely who brought up author and speaker, Shel Isarel. Shel was charasmatic, charming and passionate about the area of blogging in a non-geeky sort of way. He made an interesting observation about how PR people should be proud of their clients and if they feel compelled to write about them in their own blogs ... they should. While I won't do it today, I am blushing proud of my clients especially Sun Microsystems, whose President Jonathan Schwartz has ushered in a new era of corporate blogging. He is hands down a leader in blogging at the executive level and no one seems to be even close. And, yes, I will scream his name out at whatever blogging event I am at, not because Sun is a client, because he is a kick-ass shining example of where Fortune 500 companies need to be on the blogsphere. Period.

The event was illuminating in many ways... I was very humbled by all the great talent in the room like David Jones, Terry Fallis, Lisa Walker, and Mark Evans (journalist extraordinaire) and that student PR guy, Chris Clarke (I just love your blog, reminds me of my youth!) who all have killer blogs and have harnessed the technology of social media a lot better than me. I feel as though I am light years behind. So two things came out of that meeting for me, Number One: I have a lot more to learn about blogging (like how to attach a photo?) and Number Two: David J. is a lot prettier than me ... that one really hurts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Julie! I really like your blog, too - smart and funny, a winning combination. Don't worry about the nerdy tech stuff - the only way I learned is trial and error.

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie - thanks for the kind words. Your blog is a good substitute for my morning cuppa...coffee - kick starts me awake. Great to see you last week.